Stand Up! Awareness Week Against LGBT Bullying Launches
Transgender young people are in post primary schools across Ireland. As part of this year’s Stand Up! Awareness Campaign, BeLonG To! offers few ideas to post primary schools on how to ensure your school is safe and inclusive. Ideas provided by members of IndividualiTy (BeLonG To’s trans youth group).
Please develop school policies for including trans students.
- We feel more respected and included if staff use the name and pronoun we choose.
- Please be flexible about which uniforms we can wear (skirts or trousers) and hair length, jewellery, etc.
- Ask us what we need for toilets and change rooms – it’s great to have a choice between male, female and gender neutral options. (Please avoid using disability toilets as an option.)
- Please be flexible about gender inclusion in school sports.
- Engage students in learning about trans issues.
- It’s very important to respect our confidentiality about being trans.
- If we ask for it, please support us in talking to our parents. We really benefit when staff get training on Trans and LGBT issues, especially school counsellors.
- Please teach the Trans section of SPHE resource, Growing UP LGBT.
- Teachers need to challenge transphobic bullying.
- Please don’t ask about or comment negatively on body changes.
- Please fully implement your school’s Anti-Bullying Policy.
What can you do to support the campaign?
- Discuss with students and staff what ideas they have for Stand Up! Awareness week to make their school more inclusive
- Participate in the Stand Up training (delivered by BeLonG To staff)
- Display the Stand Up posters on prominent notice boards in your school. This helps to create a welcoming diverse school environment especially for LGBT students and staff.
- Show some of our videos.
- Do a Stand Up! activity in your class.
- Look at the ideas from Transgender students and discuss what you can implement in your school.
Learn more about the campaign here: www.belongto.org
The National Parents Council post primary endorses and support the Stand Up week.